gconfd-2 in lucid Solved!

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Wed Jul 28 02:11:39 UTC 2010

Thanks very much for the response.

It turns out that my culprit was the polkit authentication tool that is
part of the start-up programs. For some reason, even though I am using
gnome, the kde polkit tool was inserted into the startup menu.
Apparently, I am still configured to use metacity in kde (I have never
actually logged into the KDE environment. I'm just using some kde tools.)

The solution was to change the startup command from

/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

Now, my persistent cpu usage is negligible.

Art Edwards