ubuntu for the visually impaired?

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:39:42 UTC 2010

Vinux is indeed based on Ubuntu and looks pretty nice. But from what
I've read so far, aside from adding Speakup and Emacspeak, of which I've
only used Speakup, and I really don't use Speakup these days, Ubuntu and
Vinux are really quite similar. That being said, I really enjoy trying
new things, especially Ubuntu derivatives, which is why I'm using Linux
Mint for now, so I'll probably download the live CD and take it for a
spin. Who knows, it may even end up as my primary OS in the near future.

The one thin that could make Vinux better than Ubuntu for visually
impaired users, but could also make it worse, is that Vinux is supposed
to be the testing ground for blind accessibility in Ubuntu, or at least
this was reported elsewhere. This means that Vinux will have all the
latest and greatest accessibility out of the box with Ubuntu under the
hood. The problem is that it also means that since the blind-friendly
packages will be kept on the bleeding edge in order to test future
Ubuntu accessibility, things may break more frequently, and that the
things that don't break and work well will filter into future releases
of Ubuntu. As a matter of fact, I believe Luke, who works on the
accessibility of Ubuntu for blind and visually impaired users may also
be one of the main people working on Vinux, so the filtering into Ubuntu
I mentioned is very likely. Someone correct me if I misunderstood Luke's
involvement in both projects.

~Kyle