Intel 3945 ABG Wireless Card not Enable in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 Bits

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 21:42:27 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 09:05 AM, Diogo Branco wrote:
> Hi, i have a laptop 'LG S1 Pro' with a Wireless Card 'Intel Pro
> Wireless 3945 ABG', the wireless card is properly install and i have
> execute the fowlling command 'lshw -C network' and the network card
> appears to be install but disable, then i do 'sudo rfkill list' to
> list all block devices and appear that the wireless card have software
> locked equal to no and hardware locked equal to yes, with his
> information i have execute 'rfkill unblock 0' but with no luck because
> hardware locked appears with yes again, dont know what to do next? I
> have checked the bios for wireless on and off no luck, in the laptop,
> the keys FN+F6 is the combination that enables the Wireless device but
> on ubuntu this combination doest work.

Is this your thread on the ubuntu forums?
[how to enable wireless?]

This problem sounds very much like the dell rfkill problem reported here:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/523143>
[Wireless RFKILL defaults to on (wireless off) and can't be turned off]

First off, can you check to ensure that Fn+F6 is working?

$ xev
now Fn+F6
the output show show a status change & output.

If those are indeed working (and most likely are) can you post the
wireless section of:

$ sudo lspci -v
and the output of:
$ cat /sys/class//rfkill/rfkill0/state
and then Fn+F6 and do the command again? A working button (on my system
toggles the state between 1 (wifi on) and 2 (wifi off). Note, you may
have to use rfkill1 instead of rfkill0 - mine uses rfkill0.