ubuntu for the visually impaired?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 26 19:47:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Kyle wrote:

> I have found Ubuntu to be quite usable. I'm currently running Linux
> Mint, just because I wanted to try it, but Ubuntu definitely has
> much better accessibility out of the box. The gnome-orca package is
> included in a fresh install of Ubuntu by default as well as on live
> media, and a simple sequence of keystrokes at the boot prompt allows
> Ubuntu to start speaking as soon as GNOME is loaded. Ubuntu can also
> be completely installed without eyes, making it far superior to
> Windows and one of the most usable operating systems for blind and
> visually impaired users from live media all the way to daily use
> after installation. Even with Vinux in the running as a
> blind-specific distro, Ubuntu still gets my vote.

  about that last claim, really?  so you're saying that a tweaked
ubuntu is actually a better choice than the blind-specific distro
vinux?  i was looking at vinux:

  http://vinux.org.uk/downloads.html

and since the most recent version is clearly *based* on ubuntu, why
wouldn't it be a better choice?  i'm just curious.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca