wma files quit playing

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 26 05:54:17 UTC 2010

On 26/07/10 15:31, Thomas wrote:
> When I first installed Karmic I installed codecs that play all kinds of
> files. I was able to play wma files in Rhythmbox and Totem. After a few
> weeks and a security update (have no idea what they were) and installing
> kino, avidemux, and libdvdcss2 and some other non av stuff I found out
> today that i can no longer play my wma files.
>
> In both Rhythmbox and Movie Player (Totem) It pops up a window and
> searches for plugins then returns No such luck. The requested plugins
> are:  Windows Media Audio decoder.
> I downloaded the restricted-packages when I first installed karmic and
> everything played.
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

You still have Karmic installed, right? or have you upgraded to Lucid?

I have Lucid and have no problems with playing wma files. (There is an
app to play wma files called xmms-plugin-wma but I do NOT have it
installed and can still play wma.)

On my system the default app to play wma is Movie Player. What happens
if you try and use it to play wma?

BC

--
A man kept complaining about not having shoes to wear - until he saw a man with no legs.