ubuntu 10.4 samba on windows 7

Ben Edwards list4me2 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 24 14:30:13 UTC 2010

On 23 July 2010 03:36, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 03:29 PM, Ben Edwards wrote:
>> Sorry, last para should read:
>>
>> Both smbd and win7 are in same domain.  I can browse to purple in
>> Network and type credentials (whitch seems to be accepted) but then
>> get nothing in the right pain (there is a directory in the home folder
>> of the ben user).  I can create directories/files etc
>
> Now that's downright frightening ("I can create directories/files etc").
> I *highly* recommend that you create a single home folder (e.g.,
> /home/<user>/tempdir or /home/<user>/shared) with r/w so that you can
> deposit files there instead. Allowing your entire /home to be r/w is
> simply a recipe for disaster (IMO).
>
> Create the folder and then add to the end of /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>
> $ mkdir ~/shared
> $ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
> and the end of the file add:
> [shared]
> path = /home/<username>/shared
> available = yes
> browsable = yes
> readonly = no
>
> Save. Put something in the folder so you know it's the right one when
> you browse ($ cp <somefile> /home/<username>/shared).
>
> Stop and start the samba service (restart may work, but I prefer to
> stop, let things settle, and then start after a few moments):
>
> $ sudo service smbd stop
> $ sudo service smbd start
>
> Now browse from Win7. You should see the newly created 'shared' folder
> with the file you put in it. You should also be able to copy a file from
> your Win7 and paste into 'shared'.
>
> Again, the last thing I think you want to do is allow Win7 to connect to
> your entire Ubuntu /home folder(s) with r/w privileges.
>
> As for "client ntlmv2 auth = yes"; the laptop is Win7 Home Premium & I
> do not recall doing anything special to get it to connect to my Ubuntu
> machines & do not have "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf on any of
> my machines (which are connected across the same 192.168.x.x networks.
> I'm not sure, but isn't "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" only applicable if
> you are using an AD? Are you running an AD?

Thanks that worked.  There is one slight anoyance.  When I connect to
purple it askes for a username/password.  I endter samba user and
password and then it askes for the current Win7 password.  This then
conects.  The problem is even though I have clicked remember
credentials on both sambaand win7 pawword when I log off/on win7 and
try to connect again it askes for my Win7 password again.  Any idea
why?

> Let's clarify: when you say "I am going to atempt to set up Samba on a
> Ubuntu Server 10.4 box" are you speaking of an actual 'Server' or are
> you speaking of an Ubuntu desktop w/samba? Just checking.

Its a Server instalation, not a Desktop.

> Also, please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)

Sorry, bluddy MS, I use outlook at work. force of habit.

Ben