USB keyboard doesn't respond

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 23:22:49 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 12:54 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM, ms ...
>> No, but the next very obvious questions are:
>> - does the keyboard work with another computer? (so we know if the
>> keyboard is not broken)
>> - does the another USB keyboard work? (so we know if it is a specific
>> problem with your keyboard)
>> - does changing the USB port do something?
>> - do Xorg logs say anything?
>>

> Restarting the machine make the USB keyboard work. So it must be some
> software issue. How to check Xorg logs?

Provide the output of:

$ dmesg |tail

after unplugging and then plugging in the keyboard.

Also look through:
$ dmesg | grep usb
to see if you can find any obvious messages.

Also:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKeyboardDetection
read the entire page, and then:
[In case your USB keyboard stops working after a while]
Post the dmesg_diff and Xorg.0.log_diff to pastebin:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
and post the resulting url(s) here.

I'd recommend that you check your bios settings & ensure that the
keyboard is plugged into a usb port directly (not a usb hub). If a
desktop, preferably a usb port in the back of the machine vs a port in
the front of the machine. This will help eliminate usb noise. Also, try
swapping the mouse usb port with the keyboard usb port; if the mouse
stops after awhile you might suspect the usb port.

Overall this sounds as if the usb port is being suspended at some point
and is not waking back up. Reminds me of an old scanner bug... I can't
find the bug report now, but it was related to this:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsbabel.general/3311