support for GPT partitioning schemes in 10.04?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jul 23 17:28:29 UTC 2010

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows how to go about adding support for GPT
> partitions on Ubuntu Desktop (32 bit) v10.04.
>
>  From what I've read in googling, it's a kernel compile flag that needs
> to be set, so I'm assuming that it's NOT built in.  What I'd rather not
> have to do is manually compile a kernel, so I'm hoping there's one
> pre-rolled, or that I can add a module with this support.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eh, I'm fairly certain it's been default for a *long* time now.  Just
about *everything* in linux is a kernel compile flag that needs to be
set.  That includes every filesystem, networking.... everything.

Note that is you plan on using a GPT partition table for your boot
drive, you should read the Grub2 documentation on the subject.  If you
want to retain the robustness that Grub2 gives you by no longer using
sector maps for booting, then you will need to create a special grub
partition.