firefox

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:44:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 06:01, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> Point me to a non-Gmail/Yahoo/etc mail service that allows me to:
>> A: aggregate, organize and archive e-mail from 50 - 100 different mailing lists
>> B: Provides a not perfect but usable interface that can be accessed
>> from any machine any where
>> C: Doesn't cost me anything to use
>> D: Provides labeling and decent filtering as well as very good spam
>> catching (I average about 1 - 3 spams per month that don't get
>> filtered, and ALL of those are spammers posting to a python list I'm
>> on)
>> E: Provides mobile applications allowing similar access via my
>> Blackberry, iPod, or other mobile devices at any time
>> F: Allows me to synchronize calendar appointments between multiple
>> calendars and on mobile devices with various access controls and
>> sharing features as well as send reminders via SMS and e-mail
>> simultaneously
>> G: Allows me to also use these meshed services to share documents
>> between myself, co-workers, etc
>> H: Does all this without me having to do much configuration at all on
>> my own saving me more time that I could spend getting things
>> accomplished
>>
>> and I'll gladly try it out and get away from GMail.

> Ummm, I don't know where you are because your gmail address tells no one anything - which is why most people use, I guess, because it hides their
> identity; but don't quote me as I have never used any qmail or yahoo or anything else goobly-dooky except my own ISPs' facilities for mail and
> their maibox facilities. If your ISP doesn't give you the flexibility to have what you want then you should consider looking for another ISP, no?

I have my own hosted server in Chicago (or Dallas now, I guess) for
personal mail, plus a server for work using IMAP.

For mailing lists though, I use GMail because I don't care to store
the hundreds of thousands of old e-mails on my own storage, or storage
I'm paying for.  Google gives me something like 8GB of mail storage
for free, they host it, and it's searchable from any computer in the
world, so I don't necessarily need to have my laptop with me.  It's a
personal choice though. Some people keep e-mail for X weeks or Y
months, I keep them until I can no longer store them.  I've still got
private e-mail dating back to the late 90s (though it's stored on
1.44MB Floppy disks and nothing I own now has a floppy drive).

I DO need to have my laptop with me for my private mail and work mail,
or I have to carry a USB key around that has my certificates on it so
I can log into the servers from systems I don't own... and I don't
like doing that.

> But let me say this, that I am using Thunderbird (and Firefox) and I have never in the past 2 years received any spam messages from my ISP
> after I switched over to this ISP. (The ISP before my current one didn't have a sensible spam filter for some reason and so Thunderbird had to
> handle the job; but with my current ISP no spam gets thru [admission: 5 spams got thru a few weeks ago for some reason but now this has stopped
> after I told the ISP about this].)

I'll probably be switching back to Thunderbird soon simply due to the
fact that Evolution is still crap and can't handle IMAP very well
(Evolution likes to either hang or crash when IMAP actions time out or
the remote server responds too slowly). But Evolution is the closest
thing I have to a local equivalent of GMail, which, as I listed,
integrates e-mail, calendar syncing and alarm pushing, document
sharing, etc.  However, Evolution is not web based, so, again, I have
to have my laptop to use it, or carry multiple copies of my
certificates/keys around.

> I also can receive all the mail from various mail lists I belong to and have all the messages allocated to the appropriate list - including the
> allocation of mail from any one of my relations or friends. A message comes in - and it goes to the appropriate folder. No drama, no problemo.
> And messages from certain deadheads listed in my filter go to the latrine folder so that I never have to see the crap that's in them....

Agreed... but can you go to, say, your parent's home, and access
Thunderbird from their computer?  Or if the one you're on has a sudden
hard disk failure, can you buy another machine, or go to an internet
cafe or library or even school, and access Thunderbird and your
e-mail?  Of course not.  If my computer were to be lost or destroyed,
Gmail is still there, accessible from any other machine instantly, or
my phone, or even my iPod.  Of course, I'd need another computer to
restore all the security stuff to access my private mail and work
mail, but I actually have a GMail config that will start grabbing my
work e-mail if necessary in an emergency... all I have to do is
provide the credentials.  It's not something I plan on ever using, but
it's a backup solution that's ready to go if I need it.

> If you are using Ubuntu - which I assume that you are - then have you tried to use the facility which is available under the envelope-looking
> icon on the top panel (I don't know what it is called)? Gives the ability to set up and use Chat and also Mail - as in what I believe is
> what you are doing with gmail (but I may be wrong). All part of Lucid's free facilities and available to you when you install Lucid. And of
> course, you have the calendar plus available to you in Lucid - again on the top panel.

Sadly, the only mail app I am aware of that currently uses the mail
icon in the display area is Evolution.  Thunderbird and the others
aren't using it yet (I could be wrong on that, but it was the case a
couple months ago).  Also, I used Empathy, the app you're thinking of
that pops up message notifications but it too was utterly
disappointing.  Instant message notifications were either slow or
non-existant, and its "Broadcast Account" feature (for things like
Twitter) only functions about 10% of the time.  IN fact, the BIG
disappointment with that utility was when, at UDS-Maverick, I tried
using it to live-blog via Twitter during the Plenary Sessions and it
sent my first two tweets and NONE of the 50 or so that came after
that.

So it's nice on paper, but when put to real-world use by someone who
uses this both personally and professionally, there is still nothing
cohesive and reliably functional...

BUT, I DO plan on dumping evolution and going back to Thunderbird as
soon as I have free time to redo everything, but as I said, that still
doesn't resolve the issue of available anywhere, any time, from any
machine with integration and mobile access, which Google does provide
in an imperfect, but usable form.