ubuntu 10.4 samba on windows 7

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 02:36:37 UTC 2010

On 07/21/2010 03:29 PM, Ben Edwards wrote:
> Sorry, last para should read:
>
> Both smbd and win7 are in same domain.  I can browse to purple in
> Network and type credentials (whitch seems to be accepted) but then
> get nothing in the right pain (there is a directory in the home folder
> of the ben user).  I can create directories/files etc

Now that's downright frightening ("I can create directories/files etc").
I *highly* recommend that you create a single home folder (e.g.,
/home/<user>/tempdir or /home/<user>/shared) with r/w so that you can
deposit files there instead. Allowing your entire /home to be r/w is
simply a recipe for disaster (IMO).

Create the folder and then add to the end of /etc/samba/smb.conf:

$ mkdir ~/shared
$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
and the end of the file add:
[shared]
path = /home/<username>/shared
available = yes
browsable = yes
readonly = no

Save. Put something in the folder so you know it's the right one when
you browse ($ cp <somefile> /home/<username>/shared).

Stop and start the samba service (restart may work, but I prefer to
stop, let things settle, and then start after a few moments):

$ sudo service smbd stop
$ sudo service smbd start

Now browse from Win7. You should see the newly created 'shared' folder
with the file you put in it. You should also be able to copy a file from
your Win7 and paste into 'shared'.

Again, the last thing I think you want to do is allow Win7 to connect to
your entire Ubuntu /home folder(s) with r/w privileges.

As for "client ntlmv2 auth = yes"; the laptop is Win7 Home Premium & I
do not recall doing anything special to get it to connect to my Ubuntu
machines & do not have "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf on any of
my machines (which are connected across the same 192.168.x.x networks.
I'm not sure, but isn't "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" only applicable if
you are using an AD? Are you running an AD?

Let's clarify: when you say "I am going to atempt to set up Samba on a
Ubuntu Server 10.4 box" are you speaking of an actual 'Server' or are
you speaking of an Ubuntu desktop w/samba? Just checking.

Also, please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)