Question 2 of 3: Ubuntu - apt-get and Update Manager

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 17:21:01 UTC 2010

On 07/21/2010 09:50 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Does anyone know, please, why apt-get and the Update Manager behave in
> "different ways"?
>
> By this I mean: I used apt-get update/upgrade and I had upgrades
> installed; I then followed this up with the Update Manager "just for
> kicks" and found that it picked up more apps to be upgraded - and I
> don't mean just one or two but possibly 10. This was a while back and
> now I do this everyday - and it happens almost every time: apt-get does
> its job and then Update Manager finds more and all this within moments
> of apt-get finishing.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion why this occurs?

Open the configuration editor (gconf-editor) &

/apps/update-notifier/regular_auto_launch_interval

set to zero.
====
The interval (in days) when auto launching update-manager for normal
updates. Please note that it will auto launch for security updates
immediately. If you set it to "0" it will also launch as soon as updates
become available.
====