Question 1 of 3 : Ubuntu - size of Terminal/Console

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 22 09:13:16 UTC 2010

On 22/07/10 19:00, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 14:40 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>> have I read this before? :-( ).
>>
>> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>> maximised mode.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>>
>> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>> Maverick Alpha2.)
>>
>> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>>
>> What I forgotten to do, please?
>>
>> BC
>>
>> --
>> And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.
>>

> Hi Basil
>
> I have had a look at gnome-terminal options in gconf-editor and there is
> no option to open maximised.  However, a simple F11 will toggle between
> maximised to full screen and un-maximised.
>
> A quick look at the manual for gnome-terminal does not show a --maximise
> option. In fact, when I tried adding this to the command in the launcher
> properties, it failed to open gnome-terminal.  What may work is adding
> the --geometry=GEOMETRY option, where GEOMETRY is specified in 'man x'.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Tony

AAAH! my friend, you have just produced the solution! :-) .

Right click on the icon for the Terminal and in Properties>Command you
type "gnome-terminal --maximize"  (without the quotes of course)!

THAT is the solution!

Many thanks for re-activating the "little grey cells" :-) .

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.