Question 1 of 3 : Ubuntu - size of Terminal/Console

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 22 06:11:28 UTC 2010

On 22/07/10 14:49, M Thomason wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 05:40, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I am just finalising the changeover of my wife's computer from another
>> distro to Lucid (almost there - the bloody sound doesn't work! - where
>> have I read this before? :-( ).
>>
>> Question 1: I always like to see the Terminal/Console window open in
>> maximised mode.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this window STAY maximised whenever I open it?
>>
>> I have used "gnome-terminal --maximize" till I am blue in the face but
>> the setting will NOT stick. (BTW, the same thing is happening in
>> Maverick Alpha2.)
>>
>> On my computer I have no such problem but with the new installation of
>> Lucid (and in Alpha2 Maverick) I am unable to get it to "stick".
>>
>> What I forgotten to do, please?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Hiya,
>
> You may want to check out Devilspie (apt-get install devilspie)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie
>
> You'll probably want a rule something like
>
> (if (matches (window_name) "^Terminal.+") (maximize))
>
> Although I haven't tested that to see if it works

Thanks for this - I shall have a closer look at this a bit later.

But at this point I must add this comment (or 2 or 3)....

I don't ever recall having to install anything "gadgets" to get an app
window to stay maximised - for example, I didn't have to do this for the
Terminal/Console window when I was using a different distro. I think the
first time I came across this was when I installed Ubuntu (Lucid) and
somebody (?NoOP) told me to use the 'gnome-terminal --maximize' command
after installing gconf2). I used to simply click on the Maximise icon
and, voila, the window was maximised and it stayed that way when one
closed console. Now I have gconf2 installed (on both systems, my wife's
Lucid and Maverick Alpha2) and I cannot keep the window maximised.....

The other thing is that I don't have to do anything with any other
application such as Firefox, Thunderbird, any of the gnome games or even
the KDE games or OpenOffice or whatever. I maximise them and they stay
maximised - from one boot-up to the next boot-up.

And finally, it seems that Ubuntu is going the way of the plasmas and
widgets and gidgets as in KDE to get things done, or as another distro
has gone where it now relies most heavily on the "community" for almost
everything and if nobody in the "community" has the time to maintain an
app then - "tough cheddar, busters". (And yes, I do know about the
Mozilla people.....)

(But I will add this with regards to Maverick [Alpha 2] : there is this
very nice facility which will automatically report to base a bug when
one comes up; it creates a report and sends it if you allow it to do all
this. A VERY great idea! [I don't know if this existed before as
Maverick is the first Ubuntu work-in-progress I have encountered].)

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.