autofs man page too old on my ubuntu LTS 10.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 21 22:33:19 UTC 2010

On 07/21/2010 02:53 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2010 01:04 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have the following autofs man page, which is too old.
>>>
>>> I tried to search 'autofs' on http://packages.ubuntu.com/  under
>>> "Search the contents of packages". But I don't see which package I
>>> should install to get the latest man page. Could anybody show me what
>>> is the proper way to search a package? In particular, what package I
>>> should install to get the latest man page of autofs?
>>>

>> That is the latest man page for autofs:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/autofs.8.html
>> Try:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man5/autofs.5.html
>>
>> File a bug report if you think they are outdated:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs
>
> I'm not sure if they are outdated or not. One was written in 1997 and
> the other was written in 2000. It just looks strange to me that they
> have not been updated in the last 10 years. Does it mean autofs user
> interface hasn't been changed in the last 10 years?

Looks strange to me, but I've seen stranger :-) Here is the upstream source:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v5/
Seems to have some recent man page updates. Example:
autofs-5.0.5-add-autofs_ldap_auth_conf-man-page.patch
  24-May-2010 03:11  9.7K
but I don't know whether they apply to Ubuntu or not. I suggest you
either file a bug, or use 'Answers'
(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs) to ask the package
maintainers. I doubt you are going to get any 'authoritative' answers on
a users list.