ubuntu 10.4 samba on windows 7

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 22:09:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 10:16 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I am going to atempt to set up Samba on a Ubuntu Server 10.4 box and connect
>>> a Windows 7 box to it. Is this lickly to work/is there anything I should
>>> know?
>>
>> You have to have "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf for the samba
>> authentication an authorization security to be strong enough for
>> Windows 7's security policy to allow a connection to the samba server.
>
> I have no such setting in my smb.conf & I connect to/from my Win7 w/o
> issue. The only thing that I did was ensure that they are on the same
> workgroup. On the Win7 I selected the folder to be shared, right
> clicked, selected sharing & selected 'Share'. Password protection is set
> & I am prompted for the password when accessing the Win7 share.

That setting is for a Linux share being accessed from win7 and not the
other way.

> Now the intersting part is that I do not get prompted for a password
> going from Win7 to the Ubuntu shared folder, even with all guest
> settings turned off (Samba guest is disabled).

Regarding password: do you have a blank samba password? or are you
using a domain log on?

Regarding win7 access: if you don't have "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" in
smb.conf then you must have change your win7 box's registry settings
to allow it not to use ntlmv2.