No Sound in Ubuntu 10.04

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Wed Jul 21 18:28:49 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:23:41 am Rob wrote:
> Has anyone else had problems with sound in 10.04?  I have two desktops
> here (the one I'm using now) and another one in another room.  I have
> 10.04 installed on this machine and the sound works fine.  It is a
> Lenovo A61 Tower w/AMD 64x2 processor.
>
> My other desktop is an Alienware w/500 gig HD and 2 Gig RAM.  I have
> tried everything I can think of to get sound working including calling
> up the Alsa Mixer in a terminal (the Master is always muted which I then
> unmute and increase the volume with no effect).  I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS
> soundcard with Via 8237 chipset.
>
> I know it's not a hardware problem because sound worked fine with prior
> versions of Ubuntu (and with a recent version of Dream Linux both from
> the live CD and, as installed to hard drive).
>
> If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, I'd sure love to hear
> the fix!

Check the mixer window and see if the "PCM" setting is at zero or muted or if
the slider is even there.  That was all that was wrong with mine in 10.04.
The slider can be added via Settings > Configure Channels.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403