ubuntu 10.4 samba on windows 7

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:16:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Ben Edwards <list4me2 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am going to atempt to set up Samba on a Ubuntu Server 10.4 box and connect
> a Windows 7 box to it. Is this lickly to work/is there anything I should
> know?

You have to have "client ntlmv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf for the samba
authentication an authorization security to be strong enough for
Windows 7's security policy to allow a connection to the samba server.

Will you have any other win clients connecting? winvista will be ok
with that setting, winxp and older win versions will have to have
their LMCompatibilityLevel changed.

If you google samba and win7, you will find many/far more people
advocating weakening the security level of win7 and winvista so as not
to require nllmv2 on a samba server. Bad advice AFAIC.