nfs filesystems can not be mounted automatically after reboot

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 11:35:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 04:49:39AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the following fstab. The nfs filesystem can not be
>>> automatically mounted after reboot. I have to run 'mount -a' to mount
>>> them. Does anybody know how to enable automatic mount?
>>
>> Add "_netdev" to your nfs mounts in fstab.
>
> Best answer in this thread, thank you!  I had no idea about the _netdev fstab
> option.  The fstab(5) or mountall(8) manual pages don't mention it.
> Google finds a mention in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

You're welcome.

It must be in "man mount" ("man 8 mount"?).

You could also use the "bg" option. If you do use "bg", you might want
to change the "retry=" value because the default is very long.

It is too bad that whoever ported NFS from Solaris (where it was
invented) didn't adopt the Solaris model of having an nfs client
service.

> Any ideas about which Ubuntu versions support/require this?

All Linux distributions and versions AFAIK.

Someone suggested using autofs rather than fstab, which seems like
overkill if you have just one nfs server, but that server would be
mounted on-demand, rather than at boot when the network might not yet
be available.