Satya

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:11:36 UTC 2010

2010/7/20 satya narayana <cutenest9 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing one typical problem in ubuntu installation. i am trying to
> install ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition in old machine. machine configuration is
> 512 MB RAM, Intel PIV Processor, 80 GB Hardisk. Installation is completing
> successfully and i am able to login the system after the installation. then
> i shot down the system and  started next day
> it is giving one error (press Ctrl+D for continue or give root password for
> maintenance) there cursor is blinking.

     You may have a filesystem error.

    A typical Ubuntu installation does not have a root password. You only have
  one choice at that point: either you go on booting (giving CTRL+D) -- but this
  is rather dangerous if the filesystem is corrupt; or you turn the
computer off,
  boot on the CD and try to repair the filesystem (sorry I'm not expert).

    If the hard disk is broken, you'll probably not manage to have a
  good user experience.

<unrelated rant>
    Why, ohhh why, is there no root password in the typical Ubuntu
    installation  ?
</unrelated rant>

     Loïc