Ultimate Edition 2.8 need some help...

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 19 14:24:53 UTC 2010

On 19/07/10 23:03, Larry wrote:
> On 07/19/2010 06:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I will confirm or deny this later as I cannot get at my wife's computer
>>> at the moment, but I now seem to recall that it will not boot into the
>>> gui login screen at all with the nvidia driver installed - it boots into
>>> the command line login; as a result I am pretty sure that her computer
>>> is running on the default nvidia driver.
>>>
>>> (At this point I must add that I have yet to change her over to Ubuntu
>>> and she is therefore using another Linux distro.)
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> I finally remembered to check and report on the above. Apologies for the
>> lengthy oversight.
>>
>> My wife's computer has the FX5500 nVidia card in it and the driver for
>> it *is* installed, and it is the #173 legacy driver.
>>
>> I just tried to install the #256 driver and got that error message I
>> referred to before: this card is only supported by the 173 driver; the
>> 256 driver will be ignored -- or words very much to this effect.
>>
>> So, as far as I am concerned, this card will not handle a driver above #173.
>>
>> Of course, this may be influenced by the manufacturer of the card (all
>> my video cards are by Gigabyte) and/or some other factor/s but from
>> where I sit, the #173 driver is the highest numbered driver which will
>> work with it.
>>
>> BC
>>

> *I just want to add this, since I do have a Geforce4 mx 440 128mb ram
> card...So far it has worked just fine
> using Ultimate Edition 2.6, 2.7&  2.8 the beta one...
>    I use the Nvidia driver 96.43.17, I am not sure if the 173 driver
> works or not, since I have never
> really tried it...

If my memory serves me right, I think that you will find that the #173
will work with it. Try it - just use the Hardware Drivers option to
install it and if it doesn't work then de-activate it and go for the
first one on the list which I think is the #96.

I have the 440 on the other computer but cannot at the moment look to
see what works on it (I have removed the HDs - they are in cradles) but
will try and check this out ASAP - after I change my wife's system over
to Ubuntu in two days time. I finally got full permission to do so!
woohoo! :-) (she got fed up with following the crap show (sorry, crap
show as far as I am concerned that is, naughty me) she was following so
now I can get at the computer for a day :-) ).

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.