No login screen after splash

Jeff Hsu jeffhsu3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 13:35:32 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 07:40 AM, Jeff Hsu wrote:
>> Nothing loads when I do that.  To be fair though, I just tried to
>> reinstall gnome-applets and this was a bad thing as it starts giving
>> me errors in aptitude
>
> Please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)
>
> When in terminal mode try (in order):
>
> $ sudo apt-get install -f
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel-data
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-applets
> $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-applets-data
> $ sudo apt-get install -f
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
> Also check your .xsession-errors file for other clues:
> $ cat ~/.xsession-errors |more

Hmmm the first errors I get are from the apt-get install -f step:

Unpacking replacement gnome-applets
dpkg: warning: old post-removal script returned error exit status 245
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-applets_2.30.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 245
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 245

This error occurs pretty much at each step down until at the last dpkg
--configure -a step:

 gnome-netstatus-applet
 deskbar-applet
 gnome-applets-data
 gnome-panel-data
 gnome-panel

I also try to repair broken packages in recovery mode and I get the
same "post-removal script returned error exit status 245"

checking .xsession-errors the first error is after a new xsession:
(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1564): GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
cannot register
 existing type `_PolkitError'

There seems to be a bug in launchpad about this, though no fix is
known.  Another thing I do in common between installations is use
google chrome.