webcam works on one of two Lucid systems

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sun Jul 18 20:41:25 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-18, Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2010-07-17, Marlon wrote:

>> mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=352:height=288:device=/dev/video0
>>
>> my search (http://ubuntuforum-pt.org/index.php?topic=6237)
>
> This is really weird.  The webcam works equally well on both machines
> for that mplayer command (also without specifying width and height).
>
> It still doesn't work in cheese & skype on the second one, though!

Using gstreamer-properties, I find the problem is that Xv isn't
working on the second machine; I also noticed that my
~/.mplayer/config on the second machine includes the line "vo=x11".

I found this thread, which suggest installing NVIDIA drivers.

However, Ubuntu has never tried to install them, and lshw indicates
the hardware as "Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated
Graphics Controller".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam