Video HW output with ATI

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 18 17:37:55 UTC 2010

On 06/22/2010 02:59 PM, Jack Knowlton wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a Ubuntu HTPC running 10.04_amd64.
> Until some time ago I had a Nvidia 8400GS card and was able to use the
> vdpau output in mplayer (with packages from "cutting edge" repo).
> Now I have switched to an ATI Raden HD 4350 with the fglrx driver.
>
> Since I have changed the GPU, 1080p MKVs don't run smoothly anymore and
> sometimes even 720p playback has a few hiccups now and then.
> Is there something equivalent to vdpau for an ATI card?
> I don't care for gaming, desktop effects and so forth, but I expect movies
> to playback without trouble.
> Thank you.

What version of mplayer? I use:
$ apt-cache policy mplayer
mplayer:
  Installed: 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1
  Candidate: 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1 0
        500 http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse Packages

For HW acceleration, try xvmc. Might be supported on your card?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Video_Motion_Compensation
====
XvMC is supported on Radeon-4000 cards (which have UVD) by Catalyst
driver from 8.10 and higher at an experimental level (meaning that it
doesn't work "out of the box".)[4] (See also X-Video Bitstream
Acceleration). Motion compensation support in other ATI/AMD hardware is
planned for the future. (Now all hardware has support for MPEG-2
acceleration on iDCT and mo comp levels).
====

Works for me with my Intel Movile 4 Series chipset.

BTW: I used to use the PPA versions of mplayer & smplayer (rvm's ppa)
but was having issue on my laptop (stutter, pauses, etc), so I went back
to the medibuntu version instead.