How to get the new GNOME keyboard layout switcher running?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sat Jul 17 19:09:38 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-16, Tony Pursell wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 21:42 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>> After I upgraded two machines to Lucid, the notification area on one of
>> them has a "GBr" symbol which lets me toggle the keyboard mappings
>> between various international settings.  I can't figure out where this
>> comes from but I'd like to run it on the other one.  Suggestions?
>
> System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts - I think you will get the
> facility to switch if there is more than one national layout.

Aha, that's interesting.  Yes, I just did that on the machine without
the GBr button, and it came up with exactly the same dialog that I can
get by right-clicking the button (on the other machine).  As you say,
the button appears when there are two or more layouts in the list.

(I'd expected this to involve adding something to System ->
Preferences -> Startup applications, and I couldn't find anything
relevant.)

Thanks!