voip: skype, vbuzzer, freephoneline, etc

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Jul 17 15:29:41 UTC 2010

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 7/17/2010 8:30 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>> Obligatory annoying post: When I have no choice, I still get 640kbps
>> upload and minimum 1.5mbps download for a cutthroat monthly fee of
>> 40USD/mnth. I've not asked yet but I hope to get something better for
>> less...<sigh>...i hate living in village houses but then this one is a
>> quiet place with great public transport options etc...
>>

> Intriguing, I pay $50 for 6.25MBps (50Mbps) and 5Mbps upload and I live
> in a state with no public transportation, a state that doesn't even have
> a city with more than 500K people. What you get for what you pay for
> reminds me of when we first started getting Dialup, $35 bucks a month
> for 40kbps, you are in the same expensive situation >.>, call your AG
> and the FCC/FTC and complain.

Just checked up on the monopoly provider (I never bothered checking them
since I got free 4 years ago)...if they do fibre to the village house, I
can get 30mbps/10mbps for about $30 plus free city-wide WIFI and some TV
channels via the link. If not, it's $50 for 8mbps/800kbps. Hopefully I
get cheaper options from other providers who will lease the line from
the mono. BTW, I live in Hong Kong and it's the OFTA over here. They
seemed to have either lost their teeth or can't be bother trying to use
them. Not sure which in the case of last mile access.