Brasero

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:11:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2010 09:34 AM, Preston Hagar wrote:
>> I agree with a lot of the other recommendations to move to k3b, but
>> you may still have bad burns.  k3b, brasero and pretty much all other
>> GUI burning programs use the same libraries to burn CDs/DVDs.  The
>> ones that come with Ubuntu by default aren't that great.  Without
>> going into a lot of detail about it, basically the burning libraries
>> that are in ubuntu by default were forked from the "original" quite a
>> while back.  The current libraries in ubuntu are called CDRKit and
>> aren't really maintained (last time I looked there hadn't been any
>> real updates for a couple of years).
>>
>             I thought when I loaded K3b, it brought a lot of files that
> were enough to do any cd or dvd except 4 level dvd.  It does cd and dvd
> single layer just fine on my 10.04 Desktop 64 bit. So why will it not
> work on your computer?
>

> 73 Karl
>

> --
>
>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>        Linux User
>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>         Key ID = 3951B48D

Like I said before, pretty much all GUI (graphical) burning front ends
in in Linux just call the underlying command line libraries (like
cdrecord, mkisofs, etc.)  All they are really doing is giving you a
pretty way to select your files to burn and a nice burn button to
click so that you don't have to know all the command line
options/syntax (I know they do a little more than this, but the "heavy
lifting" of the burning is done by common burning libraries).

The libraries that Ubuntu installed by default when you install K3B
work for a lot of people.  If they didn't they they wouldn't bother
installing them.  The problem, is that, for political/legal/license
reasons, the libraries that are installed by default with K3b aren't
that great.  They haven't been updated in a while to work with newer
burners, newer kernels, etc.  Also, several known bugs haven't been
fixed in them.

If they burn fine for you, great, leave them alone.  They, in general,
worked okay for me.  I made several functional CDs and DVDs, but about
1 in every 10 or so burns would fail, wasting the disc for reasons I
couldn't figure out.  I tried different brands of CDs/DVDs, different
burn settings, etc. but they still failed.  My best guess is that
either I was doing something to hit one of the bugs in the default
Ubuntu burning libraries, or my DVD/CD burner was too new to be
fully/properly supported by them.

Thankfully, Linux is about choice.  It is my computer, my OS, so if
one program doesn't work for me, I can switch it out with another. I
found out either through this list or the forums (can't remember
which) about the burning libraries saga/soap opera (and it really is
one if you read the posts from both sides of the issue) and found out
that I could install more up to date, better maintained libraries that
might fix my problem.  They did and I have tried to share that
experience where it may help others.

I know this is a long response to your short question.  The short
answer is that there are probably millions of possible "PC" hardware
combinations, and just because a given piece of software works well
with your hardware combination, doesn't mean that it will work well
with others.  If it doesn't work, then you try different software.

Preston