Brasero

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:34:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Jon Cosby <jon.l.cosby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there an issue with burning DVDs in Brasero? I've been trying to burn
> images but after a few minutes it ejects the disk and the job fails.
>

> Jon

I agree with a lot of the other recommendations to move to k3b, but
you may still have bad burns.  k3b, brasero and pretty much all other
GUI burning programs use the same libraries to burn CDs/DVDs.  The
ones that come with Ubuntu by default aren't that great.  Without
going into a lot of detail about it, basically the burning libraries
that are in ubuntu by default were forked from the "original" quite a
while back.  The current libraries in ubuntu are called CDRKit and
aren't really maintained (last time I looked there hadn't been any
real updates for a couple of years).

The "original" cdrtools is still actively developed and fixed.  You
can get the info for the ppa for lucid and karmic here:

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

There are ppa's for older versions of Ubuntu as well if needed.  The
reason it was pulled from Ubuntu was because it used the CDDL, not the
GPL and linked to some GPL libraries and apparently there might be
legal issues with that.  Here is the cdrtools (probably biased)
opinions on the whole deal:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

Honestly, I am not a OSS/GPL whatever zealot, I just want my software
to work, so I switched to th ppa above and reinstalled cdrtools.
Since I did, I haven't had a single bad burn.

Anyway, worth a thought.

Preston