Brasero

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:30:45 UTC 2010

On 15/07/10 10:24 PM, Jon Cosby wrote:
> Is there an issue with burning DVDs in Brasero? I've been trying to burn
> images but after a few minutes it ejects the disk and the job fails.

IMHO, brasero is severely crippled in its features regarding CD and DVD
burning (data, audio, video, iso images). I have always resorted to
using k3b as my favorite GUI for this, even if I am in Gnome. If you do
not have KDE installed, installing k3b will pull in the necessary
libraries, however.

The other common method that I use to burn stuff on a DVD is
growisofs[1,2]. Install dvd+rw-tools and make sure you belong to the
cdrom group. Then, to burn data in directory /path/to/data, I would use
the following on a new DVD or to first erase pre-existing data on a DVD
(if /dev/dvd is my dvd device):
$> growisofs -R -J -Z /dev/dvd /path/to/data

and the following to add stuff to a DVD which already has other data on
it(replace "-Z" with "-M"):
$> growisofs -R -J -M /dev/dvd /path/to/data

To burn an iso image:
$> growisofs -Z /dev/scd1=image.iso

To burn a video DVD. If you have the DVD format in /path/to/dvddata
(dvddata must have VIDEO_TS and should also have AUDIO_TS directories,
case sensitive), and want the DVD disk to have a label of "Home Movie
1", then do [3]
$> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -joliet-long -R -V "Home Movie 1"
/path/to/dvddata/

Using these two methods, I have had only a few burns gone bad in the
last few years, and they were my own mistakes.

Regards.