potential newbie with questions (please be gentle)

Maurice McCarthy manselton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:54:02 UTC 2010

On 14 July 2010 21:20, Jerry Bolt <jerry.bolt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maurice,
> Thank you for your help, it has been great.

You're welcome. Helping is the only reason I'm on the list. Many
people I've never met have done much for me.

> Here is where I am at.
> I downloaded the driver like you recommended.  That worked to the point the
> wireless adapter is now being recognized.  However, when  I pull up the
> available wireless networks and attempt to connect to mine, it won't
> connect.  It acts as if it is trying but will not completely connect.  I
> tried to connect to one of the "unsecured" networks in range and samething.

These things are so annoying. I'm sure where to go from here. The
Ubuntu Network Manager is usually very good behind the scenes. I take
it you've tried booting with the wire disconnected. Offhand the only
other thing I can suggest is to install wicd through the software
centre. It is another network manager but it lets you see what is
going on rather better.

--
Best Wishes
Maurice