Just upgraded to 10.04. Can't log in. Home page starts than dies. Then back to sign in.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jul 14 05:01:23 UTC 2010

John Fleischman wrote:
> I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04. When I restarted my computer, it
> took me to the sign-in screen where I signed in. My home screen
> opened for a second. Then the screen went black. When it came back I
> was back at the sign-in. I signed in again. My home screen opened and
> then the same thing happened. I can't get to any terminal or command
> lines. I can't get past the sign-in.

Two suggestions:

1. Please check if your / partition is (nearly) full - you couldn't
login if there is no space left. You could start in recovery mode and
IIRC there is an option to make some space. If it isn't, use the root
shell option and type the command

apt-get clean

which should delete all the package files which may still be left over
from the upgrade.

2. If 1. didn't help, let us know what graphics hardware you have. Maybe
it is something like an issue with desktop effects which may be enabled
although your system doesn't (yet) support it.

Nils