potential newbie with questions (please be gentle)

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Jul 13 23:45:07 UTC 2010

On 7/13/2010 6:40 PM, Jerry Bolt wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, your answers were very helpful.
>
> Another question...  With having Linux and Windows side by side can/do they
> share and/or access the same files such as pictures, music, video?
>
> JB
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com>wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2010 6:08 PM, Jerry Bolt wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am interested in learning more about the Linux/Ubuntu operating system.
>>> like what I have read and studied up to this point but before I take the
>>> plunge I have a couple questions.
>>>
>>> 1. I have read you can install a Linux OS and still keep the existing
>>> Windows OS, in my case I have Windows XP.  Please explain how this is
>> done?
>>>  I think I understand but want to be sure.
>>
>> The installer for Ubuntu will take care of this for you, pretty easy to
>> see from the installer how to do it.  It's not like it was a few years
>> ago when you had to fight to keep Linux and Windows side by side.  You
>> can even use the Windows bootloader to boot to Grub for Ubuntu leaving
>> Windows intact as is pretty much, though this requires a bit more work
>> than just using Grub.
>>

>>> 2.  If, for some reason, a Linux OS is not to my liking can and how do I
>>> uninstall it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JB
>>>

>> Login to Windows, destroy the partition, then use your Windows disk to
>> repair the MBR (if you chose to use Grub).  You can see "Repair Windows"
>> at the bottom of the start screen for Windows.  You should be able to
>> use Windows 7 or Windows Vista disks to make this far easier even if you
>> run Windows XP.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jordon Bedwell
>> http://envygeeks.com
>>
>> --

Yes, this is another common misconception, while NTFS used to be scary
to access and still can be under certain circumstances, it's not like
itw as a few years ago, as a matter of fact, Ubuntu will try and
automatically mount the Windows partition by default so you can access
the files.  You would just need to know the path to your username or
create a quick Symlink to the folder from root.  Usually if I want to
move files back and forth I just create a small FAT container while
partitioning the Linux install and then Windows will auto-mount it and
Linux will auto-mount it too.

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell