potential newbie with questions (please be gentle)

Pete Vander Giessen petevg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 23:37:34 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 04:08 PM, Jerry Bolt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in learning more about the Linux/Ubuntu operating
> system.  I like what I have read and studied up to this point but
> before I take the plunge I have a couple questions.
>
> 1. I have read you can install a Linux OS and still keep the existing
> Windows OS, in my case I have Windows XP.  Please explain how this is
> done?  I think I understand but want to be sure.
>
> 2.  If, for some reason, a Linux OS is not to my liking can and how do
> I uninstall it?

Hi JB,

Jordan's suggestions are good ones.  Another way to install Windows and
Linux side by side is to use Wubi:  http://wubi-installer.org/

Disk performance is going to be slightly degraded in Wubi, but it's a
good way to try out Linux without taking the plunge of partitioning your
hard drive.

You can also install Virtualbox (virtualbox.org), and install Linux in a
virtual machine, but that's more technically complex, and has the worst
performance of your available options; I'd go with Wubi, or with the
Ubuntu installer instead.

~ Pete