Wifi question.....

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 13 19:26:40 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 09:51 AM, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:51:47 +0200, Alfredo De Luca wrote:
>

>> I have Ubuntu Lucid and I'd like to know if I can and if so how to share
>> my wired connection within others users trought my wifi device on board
>> of my laptop.
>
>> Friend of mine did that by a Mac laptop.
>
>> Is that possible?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessAccessPoint , so it's
> possible with _some_ wifi devices.
>
> Unfortunately it says: "Tested on Ubuntu server 7.10" :(

This might be of interest:
Note comment #2.
Indeed in Network Manager there is a 'Create New Wireless Network'
Option :-)

Created a new 'tester' network w/WPA security & it's showing up just
fine. Editing the network shows it as 'Shared to other computers' in the
IPv4 Settings. It's also showing IP's:
IP Address: 10.42.43.1
Broadcast Address: 10.42.43.255
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

and the wired connection is showing up properly as well. However, I was
unable to join/connect to the network via my ipad touch (the only other
wifi device I have handy at the moment). The ipad touch does connect to
my netgear wifi w/wpa. The network does show up in iwconfig & also is
picked up by the ipod touch, so not sure why I am unable to join/connect.