document management choices

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 13 10:48:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Patton Echols wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have a project coming up that requires some intensive document
> examination.  I have been looking for a document manager.  So far I
> have not installed any to try because none seem to do what I need.
> I need something that starts with the obvious functions, listing
> documents by creation date, modified date if any, author, document
> name and description, giving the user the chance to change the
> latter.  The documents I'll be dealing with will mostly be PDFs.
> Some will be images of documents, others will contain text.
>
> Most important, I need to be able to view a document, take notes on
> it and have the notes attach to the document in question.  Then, I
> need to be able to both search my notes as well as generate a report
> of my notes.  In a perfect world, the ability to OCR the documents
> (or text extract) and save that to a searchable field separate from
> notes would be great.  As would the ability to add arbitrary
> categories to documents so I could group differently than I receive
> them.
>
> The DMS that I have looked at seem to be focused on version control,
> some with searcability, but none with the note taking ability.

  not sure if this is what you're after but you can get a full open
source DM system here:

http://www.nuxeo.com/en

  i've used their digital asset management system (DAM) and it seems
to work fine.  i have not used the DM system but other people seem to
find it perfectly acceptable.

rday

p.s. there are pre-release ubuntu packages of the above if you wanted
to try out the really new stuff.  if you want, i can post a few
details on how to get it.

                        http://crashcourse.ca