document management choices

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 09:16:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 17:28 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> Tony Pursell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 14:54 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings:
> >>
> >> I have a project coming up that requires some intensive document
> >> examination.  I have been looking for a document manager.  So far I have
> >> not installed any to try because none seem to do what I need.  I need
> >> something that starts with the obvious functions, listing documents by
> >> creation date, modified date if any, author, document name and
> >> description, giving the user the chance to change the latter.  The
> >> documents I'll be dealing with will mostly be PDFs.  Some will be images
> >> of documents, others will contain text.
> >>
> >> Most important, I need to be able to view a document, take notes on it
> >> and have the notes attach to the document in question.  Then, I need to
> >> be able to both search my notes as well as generate a report of my
> >> notes.  In a perfect world, the ability to OCR the documents (or text
> >> extract) and save that to a searchable field separate from notes would
> >> be great.  As would the ability to add arbitrary categories to documents
> >> so I could group differently than I receive them.
> >>
> >> The DMS that I have looked at seem to be focused on version control,
> >> some with searcability, but none with the note taking ability.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any thoughts.
> >>
> >> --PE
> >>

> > If you Google for 'document management system open source' there are
> > quite a few listed.  OpenDocMan, for instance, claims 'Full search by
> > meta-data, author, department, category, file name, comments,etc.'
> >
> > Tony
> >

> Hmm, my most recent search was "linux document management system"  and
> as you say, there are quite a few.  I had not noted that opendocman
> allows adding comments.  It does not appear that I can create a report
> on those comments.  But maybe I should read some more.  The demo seems
> quite clunky too, but it would be much quicker on a LAN intranet server.
>
> Thanks,

I did notice that most of the DMS/CRM offerings aim for the 'enterprise'
level.  So they are probably quite heavyweight for you.  Most are
designed with a back end database to hold document information (such as
the comments that you want) and a front end in Java/PHP/whatever to work
with the data and retrieve related documents.  Often the front end is
web enabled so clients in the 'enterprise' can access the documents over
the internet or intranet without installed software. This all makes for
quite a large installation.

Tony