Ultimate Edition 2.8 need some help...

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 13 02:28:20 UTC 2010

On 07/12/2010 06:49 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

> I can see that Noop has already responded (I couldn't last night- it was
> my biddie-byes time :-) ) but here is a "simple" solution:
>
> boot into Recovery Mode;
>
> select As root with console;
>
> start mc (ie Midnight Coomander) - just type in 'mc' <Enter>;

Right...

$ apt-cache policy mc
mc:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3:4.7.0-1ubuntu2
  Version table:
     3:4.7.0-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages

*Please* if you insist on posting these, please think first.

1:) it's unlikely that the OP will have mc installed, it's a universe
package & would need to be installed from universe.

He will most likely get:
$ mc
The program 'mc' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install mc

The file can easily be modified via nano & I would have suggested him to
do that were I to ask him to modify the file.

2) advising to modify the xorg.conf to 'nv' is not a solution. You're
recommending he change the file to use a driver that may not even be
installed:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/xserver-xorg-video-nv
I don't & my nvidia-96 driver works fine:
$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-nv
xserver-xorg-video-nv:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:2.1.15-1ubuntu3
  Version table:
     1:2.1.15-1ubuntu3 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

At _least you should check to see what drivers he is/was using. A simple
'$ lspci -v' will suffice.

3) The 173 driver supports GeForce 4? Perhaps you can write a mod to:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/nvidia-173
<quote>
GPUs ranging from GeForce series 5 to Geforce series 9 are supported.
</quote>

"He has a GeForce4 MX 440."

So please reference where the nvidia-173 driver supports GeForce4, and
the nv driver would work.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/580185>
[After update to 10.04, only low resolutions are supported]
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+questions?field.status=OPEN>