Picture software

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 02:01:50 UTC 2010

On 13 July 2010 02:11, Jim Smith <jim at oz.net> wrote:
> Is there a simple utility for re-sizing photos? I need to take a few
> pictures from a digital camera and make them smaller in order to use
> them as wallpaper on mobile devices. Gimp didn't work for me, probably a
> user error, and Picasa didn't have an option to create a custom size.
> I'm using  Karmic.
>
> Thanks in advance

This is a bit of a confession, or admission, but on my laptop, for
fast easy conversions, crops etc., I still use my favourite Windows
app, IrfanView. It's freeware but not open source, it runs fine on
WINE, and with its optional collection of plugins, it opens, converts,
displays and saves every conceivable image format. Easy keyboard
controls, blistering speed, costs nothing.

On my desktop, with far more storage, CPU power and screen space, I
use Eye of GNOME and GIMP... and occasionally swear at them.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508