Windows Rant

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:10:18 UTC 2010

On 12 July 2010 07:07, Grizzly <Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11 July 2010 at 17:59, Douglas Pollard
> Enlightened me with this:-Re: Windows Rant
>
>>I might well be wrong, but I don't think there was hardrives in the mid
>>1970's. If there were I must have been  dumb as a stump as we used tape
>>drives.  A good friend of mine was using a wire recorder to save to and
>>they were popular in the early 1950's .   My first Windows computer was
>>a lap top with Windows 3.1  and that was used and  was about 1989 and I
>>think the 3.5 floppies were pretty new even that late.
>>                                             Doug
>
> That would be a "LugAble" but I doubt that a (used) 1989 version would be able
> to run an OS that was not released for another 2 years, and I doubt it would
> have been much fun with a mono display Black/Orange, Black/Green or the then
> "new" Black/White

You might be surprised.

Although Apricot introduced 3.5" floppies to x86 MS-DOS PCs, the
IBM-compatible really got them with the arrival of the IBM PS/2 range
in 1987, which also brought the world the PS/2 keyboard and mouse
connectors and the VGA standard and connector - both of which are only
just disappearing now, 13Y later.

I have 2 PS/2 machines. They're lovely boxes - some of the best-built
PCs the industry has ever produced. MY main one is a PS/2 Model
80-A31, with a 25MHz 80386DX with *secondary cache* - /very/ rare back
then - and a massive 8MB of RAM on the planar, plus another 8MB on a
32-bit MCA expansion board. It has a 330MB SCSI hard disk, and on a
secondary controller, a SCSI CD-ROM (and a couple of external hard
disks for shared storage).

It ran as my main server on my home network in the mid- to late-1990s,
running Windows NT Server 3.51 - an OS released some 7 or 8 years
after the machine was made in 1988 or so. It wasn't quick but as a
server it was entirely usable and utterly reliable.

In 1987 or so, its basic spec - PC, CPU and 4MB RAM - would have been
approximately £10,500. That's without "optional extras" such as a
monitor, keyboard or mouse. It shipped with PC DOS 3.3.

Specified as mine was, with 32MB RAM, an additional 1.6GB of SCSI
disks and a CD-ROM, it would have come to about £35,000.

Mine came out of a skip behind the Commercial Union building in
Wallington in Surrey. :¬)

So, anyway, yes, mid-1990s OSs can run successfully on a
very-well-specced late-1980s PC.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508