Setting up Samba on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 23:33:42 UTC 2010

On 07/12/2010 04:13 PM, Tom Rue wrote:
> Thanks for the reply! I tried smb://192.168.122.1 (this box's IP according
> to ifconfig). I also tried the external IP address in the same format.
> Neither worked.

You don't enter your machine ip, you only enter the target machine.

> When you say "purge samba", do you mean uninstall and reinstall?
>
> I've been slogging through, as you say, all afternoon. Best hope I found
> was http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149, but none of those
> ideas have worked.

Please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)

This may be of help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
But that's long and outdated. This may be easier:
<http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/samba-file-sharing-in-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-lts/>

If the ip address isn't working, then the next questions would be:
- Do you have folders set to share?
- Are the machines on the same subnet (192.168.122.x)?
- Can you ping the target machine ip address?

Purge meaning:

$ sudo apt-get purge samba

Or via System|Administration|Synaptic...|Quick search: samba|right click
on 'Samba' and select 'Mark for complete removal' & then click the
'Apply' button. But before you do that check to see if you actually have
a folder set for sharing & answer the questions above.