no AppleTalk?

Pete Gontier pete at gontier.org
Mon Jul 12 23:09:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher <
christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

 > I completely understand about AppleTalk being so old that hardly anybody
> > tests with it. Heck; even Mac OS has abandoned support for AppleTalk at
> > this point.
>

> Really? I thought it still supported Appletalk...I guess only AFP...

AFP is arguably part of the AppleTalk protocol stack. Certainly everybody
talked about it that way years ago before AFP started to run atop IP as well
as DDP. Nowadays, as far as Mac OS is concerned, AFP runs *only* atop IP. If
you still think of AFP as a layer of the AppleTalk protocol stack, then I
suppose it's reasonable to say Mac OS still has AppleTalk support. But I've
never heard anyone talk that way.

 Pete Gontier <http://pete.gontier.org/>