Windows Rant

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Jul 12 21:37:36 UTC 2010

On 13-07-10 23:19, chris wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:10 +0100, Angus MacGyver wrote:

>>> Read my mail again. Read it very carefully.
>>
>> Assumption #1 - that I didn't...
>> Fact #1 I did - many times with abject horror and disbelief.
>>
>>> I can't help it if it causes cognitive dissonance in your mind, but it has
>>> *NOTHING* to do with greed.
>>
>> Unwillingness to give your own time for your *OWN* family without
>> charging - that is selfishness, and yes, greed, if not for money, but
>> for "your" time.
>>
>> Quoting your original email...
>> "Why do you support your relatives for free?"
>> "who would otherwise have made a small profit"
>>
>> On the point you raised with Doug - I am also married with children, but
>> will still gladly give my time to sort family's "PC" problems, I just do
>> it when my kids are in bed so they don't lose out.
>>
>>> Obviously you don't work in IT.
>>
>> HAHA...EPIC FAIL.
>> Sorry, but you really have no idea.
>> That was Assumption #2
>> Fact #2
>>
>> I *HATE* Windows with a passion, so much so, my own Desktop Services
>> department aren't surprised that when my company laptop supplied with
>> Windows goes back to them to have the next "mandatory fix" installed,
>> *THEY* were the last people to turn it on and login, somewhere about 3
>> months ago.
>> It's a standing joke with them that I don't use it, so why do I need it.
>> (it's something known as on-call)
>>
>> I have a Sun workstation under my desk running something sensible to do
>> my job - really need a Windows app? - it's called Citrix/RDP.
>>
>> Even though I despise Windows for a great many reasons, quite some time
>> ago it used to make me a living, and I know what I'm doing, so I will
>> happily work on Windows for my family.
>>

>>> Obviously you never heard questions like these:
>>
>>> * Hey Mark, I don't have a modem and can't connect to the Internet, can
>>> you fix this?"
>>> * "I removed some of the pins from my monitor cable because it didn't seem
>>> to fit right, now it's not working at all...can you fix my computer?"
>>> * Hey Sally, Can you fix my Internet, everytime I visit a website it says
>>> my host is unknown"
>>

>> I've probably heard them all - and more, my mother is by far the best
>> example (in the technology arena) of the developer's mantra of "....the
>> universe will make better idiots"
>> It might help if she actually read her notes she makes on "Post-It"'s
>> mind, but that is just one frustrating, but nonetheless, endearing part
>> of what make my mother who she is.
>>
>> Y'know something though ?
>> It's been massively better since she upgraded WinXP to first Redhat 9.0,
>> then Sun Java Desktop, OpenSuse XX, and finally Ubuntu since 6.10 (or
>> 6.04, I forget now)
>>
>> Hell, I even talked her through a remote / fsck when her lappy failed to
>> boot at a conference - all gratis of course..
>> Respect ?
>> Ohhhhhh yeaaaah.... and then some.

> [...]
Please don't turn this in a religious discussion. Your concept of an
omnipotent deity is insulting to me, but I will try not to ridiculize
you because of it.

Anyway, if it's about family: I have a problem with the English
language. In Dutch we have two words:
"gezin" = the small family group that you live with in the same house
"familie" = the group of all your relatives

In English they both translate to 'family'. It seems that the English
language lacks a word for the concept that I was trying to express. Or
perhaps I simply don't know that word. Google Translate doesn't know it
either. A word that comes close is 'household', but translated back to
Dutch "huishouden" it's not exactly the same concept.

I think that this is the most important cause of the current confusion.
What I intended to say was, quality time with my wife (=my family,
"gezin" in Dutch) is more important than fixing the computer of the
husband of my sister (= also family).

I hope this explains it a bit.