Implied tech question: how to move a thread to another mailing list

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Jul 12 21:26:03 UTC 2010

On 12-07-10 17:14, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:45:38 -0400
> Douglas Pollard<dougpol1 at verizon.net>  wrote:
>
>> I agree I went to sounder, but the thread is here. I answered it here
>> the same as you did.  The thread is about Ubuntu 10.4 though it has
>> wondered off course.
>>
>>                                           Doug
>
> Ah, I see an /implied/ tech question; how do I send the discussion to
> Sounder?
> It is so easy /almost/ anyone should be able to master it.
>
> Change the, "To:," line in your email to reflect the Sounder list
> thusly:
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com  Go to the beginning of the eddress and
> hit, "delete," 12 times.  Without moving your cursor type, "sounder,"
> without the quote marks or the comma.
> Make sure that the, "at," sign is still there and the,
> "lists.ubuntu.com," part.
>
> The final eddress should look like this:
> sounder at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Keep the subject line so people will know it is the same discussion
> that began on ubuntu-users.  Finish typing your email and send it.  It
> will reach the Sounder list and /not/ the technical questions /only/
> list.

Agreed, I should have set the To: header to
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com; the Cc: header to
sounder at lists.ubuntu.com and the Reply-To: and Followup-To: headers also
to sounder at lists.ubuntu.com.
My mistake. I'll try to remember it next time I suggest moving a thread.

There. Now I have turned this into a technical topic, on a technical
support mailing list. No thanks needed.

--
Amedee