Ultimate Edition 2.8 need some help...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:20:32 UTC 2010

On 12 July 2010 15:13, Larry <larryesu at charter.net> wrote:
> Yes I no my graphics card is an older one, but it has allways worked, so
> why buy a new one and spend the money when it works and has just fine...
>
> I have tried too the Recovery mode, which brings me to a Recovery menu...
> I have tried each one of the options given...
> Clean yes
> dpkg yes
> FailsafeX yes
> the other two no...
>
> So when eachone I have tried it loads up, which brings me to the login
> prompt, but no GUI, so this is my question, how can I start up what
> every I need like startx or start gdm, none seem to work...
>
> Do you have any idea how I can start it with a GUI display...Or what I
> may need to do to get it to start normally...???
>
> Thanks for the help..
>
> Larry

Try booting from a live CD, such as an Ubuntu install CD or Knoppix,
and *carefully* going into your hard disk and looking for

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

and renaming it to

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

Then reboot and remove the CD. This should make the graphical
subsystem reset to defaults and then you can carefully reconfigure it.

For the proprietary nVidia drivers, always use the *latest* ones that
will work with your card.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508