Windows Rant

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:01:32 UTC 2010

On 07/11/2010 04:01 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
> On 11/07/10 21:57, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>       Heck Yes! In my storage is a computer I bought around 1960. It
>> arrived and had 2 3.5 inch floppies and it had 16 Meg of RAM.

>>       I decided to upgrade this computer and ordered a Hard Drive with a
>> very fast access compared to a floppy :-)
>>
>>       It arrived in a wooden Crate and the Hard Drive was suspended by
>> springs in the center and cost like $250.00. It had a full 40 MB of
>> space :-)
>>
>>       I had this on the for-runner of the Internet which was just a bbs
>> that sent data to a hill mounted repeater to another bbs. Great fun
>> since we had no idea how nice the Internet would be.
>>

> There is no way you could have had 3.5" floppies and 40 MB HDD in the
> sixties. HDD's had less than 10 MB then and were as large as a washing
> machine. The cost was so great you couldn't afford it if you were not an
> university or a large corporation. If floppies even existed then (I
> guess not), they were 8" and had several *hundred* bytes then.
>
> First computers that even resemble that you described appeared in mid to
> late seventies, but I'm quite certain that configuration you describe
> (computer, monitor, 2 floppies and HDD option) would be IBM PC, which
> wasn't available before about 1982. HDD of 40 MB size wouldn't be
> available before mid-eighties, before that you might have 10-20 MB tops.
>
> BBS-es also didn't exist before like late seventies and their real
> heyday was in the eighties.
>
> Considering all that, I'd say the real year in question would be more
> likely to be somewhwere beween 1983 and 1985.
>
> Kind regards,
> A.Kromic

             I have already corrected myself by observing that the 5 1/4
floppy drive was Invented in 1976 so it was not available until about
1978 and so my computer with 2 of these floppy drives could not be sold
much earlier than 1980. So I mis-remembered.

     Before that I had a Radio Shack Level 2 computer.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User