no AppleTalk?

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Jul 12 07:58:04 UTC 2010

On 7/12/2010 2:46 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2010 03:16 PM, Pete Gontier wrote:
>> My only printer speaks only AppleTalk. The hardware works fine. The goal
>> is to avoid buying another. I've avoided that for longer than some
>> people on this list have been alive. Why stop the tradition now?
>
> Certainly...
>

>> If Ubuntu's kernel doesn't have DDP, then I should give up. Can anyone
>> confirm or deny this? Might the server kernel have DDP compiled in?
>
> There is an ipddp.ko module...looks like I was mistaken. I only need AFP
> and I am using that on OpenSolaris so I can help here sorry.
>

>>     Pete Gontier <http://pete.gontier.org/>
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
>> <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>>

>>      > What I'm really trying to do is set up an AppleTalk printer. I
>>     get the
>>      > same error message from the pap command.
>>
>>     Do you really need an AppleTalk printer? Mac OS X all support cups/lpd
>>     if IIRC.
>>

>>      >
>>      > I know AppleTalk requires kernel support which may or may not be
>>      > compiled in, so one theory is that it's not there on Ubuntu. I've
>>     found
>>      > a web page
>>     <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man7/ddp.7.html>
>>      > which suggests Ubuntu does have AppleTalk support, but I'm not
>>     sure how
>>      > to prove or disprove it.
>>      >

>>     You probably have to recompile the kernel to enable the ddp module.
>>
>>     --

Try doing "route --help" and see if ddp (Appletalk DDP)x25 is listed.
There is also netatalk package (AppleTalk)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/netatalk which is available through the
Universe.  I came in a little late so I haven't seen all of them, I just
saw somebody mention DDP and Appletalk and implementation so I figured I
would jump in and throw out some help.

- --
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell