copy protected media

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Jul 12 00:00:43 UTC 2010

On 7/11/2010 6:45 PM, Michael Haney wrote:

> This is a perfect example of why DRM hurts consumers but does NOTHING
> to stop professional pirates.  The "goal" of DRM is impossible to
> attain, because if it can be viewed or listened to it CAN be copied.
>
> It all comes down to greed.  If the media barons could get away with
> it the original DIVX (not the video file format) players wouldn't have
> flopped and we'd be paying again and again and again for the same
> movies.  What are they going to do next?  Force us to wear special
> headgear that scans our thoughts so they can charge us money every
> time we hear a song in our heads?
>
> Some big media R&D lab somewhere is probably working on the idea.

I don't see the point of this rant, CSS and DRM have existed for a long
time and this rant should have been brought up years ago, and I repeat
years go. It's a pointless moot subject to even bring up now.

Maybe try running: /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

I know a lot of people have problems running DVD's that have CSS and are
DRM encrypted and even tried installing the "Codec" to play them back, I
myself had the same problem, until I ran that SH script that is included
with Ubuntu by default.