Windows Rant

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Jul 11 16:12:29 UTC 2010

A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
>> Windows is *very* technician unfriendly OS.  Ubuntu and Linux and
>> general would be years ahead in user *and* technician friendliness if
> it
>> wasn't for the lack of hardware support from proprietary devices that
>> need closed source 'drivers' that don't exist for Linux.
>
> Don't feel bad, I stopped supporting Windows in the filed in 1999.  I
> still have to help the family members, however....
>
> BTW, I used to do a lot of field work in the 80s and 90s way before
> Windows.  I recall setting up classrooms all across New York State with
> PCs, PCXTs, PCATs, PS/2s, etc using DOS of all things.  Then came
> Windows and Novel, etc.  I even had an IBM CSE and Novel CNE for a
> while.

What do you mean, using DOS of all things? What other OS would deal with
the crap designed into the 286 and 386 boxes? CP/M?

What kind of support did you do? How to load as much TSRs into HIMEM or
UMB so that they can play Simcity 2000? Or some other game that needed
600kb of 'conventional memory' to run? Or was it getting 16 of these
connected by ipx or netbeui for Apache or Wing Commander?

Please don't tell me it was for Lotus 1-2-3 or Wordperfect.