Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 18:25:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:39:08 +0300
Tero Pesonen <ubuntu-users at tpesonen.net> uttered these words:

> Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
> composition.
>
> Thanks,
> Tero Pesonen
[snipped]

I've been watching this thread with interest.  I too have had *VERY*
sluggish performance from Evolution, and I keep on trying it with every
new release of Ubuntu.

My preferred mail client is Claws-Mail, although I have had good
results from Balsa. There is a ppa in launchpad so the latest version
of Claws can be downloaded easily, together with any plugins you wish
to install.

Its fast, easily set up, and through plugins can do automatic spam
filtering.  It also has a lower memory overhead (if it matters).
However, it is a mail client not a PIM, and not a full replacement for
Evolution, but if a mail client (MUA) is all you want, I don't think it
can be easily surpassed.

How about making Claws-Mail the default MUA for Ubuntu?

Just my tuppence worth.

--
Graham Todd