copy protected media

Michael Pavling pavling at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 21:17:51 UTC 2010

On 10 July 2010 21:21, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 10 July 2010 12:57, Michael Pavling <pavling at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless I'm very much mistaken, "lending" is prohibited by the
>> copyright owners as much as duplicating.
>
> You are allowed to give it to someone
> else (transferring the ownership), as a present for example, and if
> that is so then they can always transfer it back to you later.

That's possibly (arguably, contrived) true... but not what the OP
said, he said he borrowed them full-stop.

> Also consider a book for example.  One can certainly lend a book,
> libraries do it quite a lot.  In fact they lend out CDs and DVDs also.

Libraries are allowed to lend under "fair dealing", see points 7 & 8:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

But "lending" is prohibited (can I stop being Devil's Advocate now? ;-)