My next Workstation

Ken kmmos1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 10 15:24:55 UTC 2010

On Thursday 08 July 2010 08:19:12 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> I had some people comments about AMD but I am kind of unfamiliar and I
> thought the Quad was a nice processor but that it used to be too
> overpriced.

When buying computer gear, it's appropriate to be as forward-looking as
possible, because the gear may be in service for several years. So, getting
the newest technology possible extends the usable life of the gear.

AMD refers to its 2010 technology as the Leo platform, which includes
processors with up to 6 CPU cores, DDR3 memory, and a "northbridge -
southbridge" chipset labeled RD890 + SB850. An interesting note about the
890FX chipset is that it supports a memory management unit that's usually
only available on AMD server products.

> Any comments guides or recommendations would be great, I feel a bit in the
> dark with this and would surely appreciate some guidance.

The July, 2010 issue of Computer Power User magazine has articles about the
Leo platform, including the chipset, and a comparative review of half a dozen
motherboards that use the 890FX technology. Parts of what was printed in the
magazine are online at the CPU site, and other parts are at the AMD site.

Ken